Skip to main content

DRINKING & DRAWING AT MARY O'S

Artist Sara Woolley and Khary Randolph
 So fun time yesterday when I finally got the chance to attend Drink & Draw at Mary O's, hosted by none other than amazing comic book artist himself Khary Randolph. After accepting every event invitation the group on Facebook sent me and never showing up; I was finally able to attend one of the monthly gathering of this group of awesome illustrators and artist. The event which welcomes all artist is hosted every second Wednesday of each month (unless it changes). Most of the artist there gather to socialize with others within their field and to also draw some amazing art. Like artist, Khary Randolph, Sara Woolley, N Steven Harris, and Javier Cruz Winnik, who I meet last year at Comic Con. He and I were the first ones at Mary O's and I got a chance to see what he was working on and it was an amazing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles piece. Mind you being a huge Turtles fan it got 1 1/2 thumbs up from me. Why 1 1/2 thumbs you ask, well to put in plainly Rafael wasn't in the front. Sorry I am a Raf fan. 

TMNT as drawn by Javier Cruz Winnik
 Once the event got on the way I found myself a little lost in this vase sea of talent. They had a model there who did some great poses for the artist to draw, but I being a total novice fell into disarray when I looked around me and saw all those pencils sketching away. Each artist was in the zone watching the model, who by the way is name Hazel Honeysuckle, as she changed poses and giving them new angels to draw. 


 The air was charged with talent. Each artist drawing in their own unique style. I tried my best to remember everything I learned in life draw class back in college, but fell short. But I didn't get down on myself for too long, since I bucked up and remembered hey you're an artist also with words. So with that in mind I looked around at all the intense faces around me that were producing genius on the spot and though about what I could write to relay how the night went. Well that is it.
Sketch of model Hazel Honeysuckle by N Steven Harris

 Unfortunately, I couldn't stay until the end of the event. But before I left I spoke to Khary who asked me if I drawn anything? I said yes, but then went on to tell him that I wouldn't show it to anyone, due to the fact I thought I was bad (and it was) compared to the amazing things I saw around me. But he reminded me that the event is called Drink and Draw. He asked me did I drink, and that was a yes (cranberry juice-mommy can't go home with beer breath) and if I had drawn anything, which was another yes. And I saw where he was going I had accomplished what the event is all about having a drink and drawing the best that you can, and enjoying the talented people around you. Hopefully I will get to attend next month Drink & Draw event and have more great things to say about it.

 If you're an artist here in New York or close by and have time to come out to the event look up the Facebook page by clicking on the link Drink and Draw NYC and see what's is all about. You will also see some of the great work that these artist have produced at past Drink & Draw events.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOKS AND WEBSITES NEW MOTHERS SHOULD CHECKOUT

  Being a new mother I can say is one of the scariest things in the world. You are now in charge of a new life. You are charged with the responsibility of making sure he/she is feed, cleaned, entertained and every need taken care of. Mind you because of the demands being placed on you by your new little bundle of joy you might feel that you have no time for yourself, and I would say that your right! For the first few months of your baby's life, your life is no longer your own. You sleep when he/she sleeps, you eat when you have time to sneak it in, and you finally take a shower when he/she takes a long nap. But it gets better and its well worth it. Eventually your little bundle starts sleeping thought   All of those demands and sleepless nights were something you thought you were prepared for, but when it finally came down to it you were totally wrong. Gone are helpful nurse's that would take your little one to the nursery when you wanted to take a nap. Gone are the extra

Beautiful relaxing music for stress relief meditation music, healing music

Being a mother and a writer is a unique and fulfilling experience.

Being a mother and a writer is a unique and fulfilling experience. As a mother, you have the incredible opportunity to nurture and raise a child, while as a writer, you have the ability to express your thoughts, emotions, and experiences through words. Balancing these two roles can be challenging, but it is definitely possible. One of the key aspects of being a mother and a writer is time management. With the demands of both roles, it's important to find a balance that works for you. This may involve setting aside specific times for writing, whether it's early in the morning, during nap times, or in the evenings. It's also important to communicate your needs and boundaries with your family, so they understand the importance of your writing time. Another aspect to consider is finding inspiration in your everyday life as a mother. Motherhood is filled with countless moments of joy, frustration, love, and growth. These experiences can serve as a rich source of inspiration for