Skip to main content

NEW YORK COMIC CON 2012 : ARTIST ALLEY

So fanboys and fangirls New York Comic Con has come and gone for another year and there was much excitement and joy over the whole experience. I only got to go there on Sunday, but it was fun nonetheless. 
There were still tons of stars there Sunday that I could have meet such as Tom Felton aka Draco Malfoy, Peter Davison aka the 5th Doctor Who and a bunch of others who names slip my mind at the moment. Sadly I really really did want to meet Peter Davison to see if he would run off with me in a TARDIS I found wondering around, but it would have cost me $40.00 to speak to the man and my pockets are still in a recession.

But either way I did have a lot of looking around and happen to run into some cool people, one of the real reasons I was there. Such all the masses where up top on the main floor of the Javits Center checking out the latest games and toys that are coming out for there favorite almost beaten dead series, but all the way in the back to what seems like the basement. There they stashed away all the artist and dubbed it Artist Alley. Mashed together at tables showing off their works of genius were some of the coolest artist out there. Sure I am not as big of a geek as I use to be so I can't even remember there names, but what I will tell you is from what I saw these people we the meaning of the word talent personified.

There were so many unique artist there drawing our favorite comic book characters there own way. It was great seem all the different ways Batman can look mean and awesome at the same time. But while I was down in artist alley, I had the chance to stop by the booths of 6 illustrators from the group Drink & Draw NYC.  Starting from left to right  let me introduce the talent. First is Javier Cruz Winnik, second N. Steven Harris, Sara Woolley, Daren Douglass, Khary Randolph and Wesley Gunn.

Ajala: A Series Of AdventuresEach of these wonderful artist stopped and took the time to take a pic for the blog site and to also tell me about projects that they were working on and personal projects that they are currently trying to promote.  N Steven Harris is currently working on his line of comics Ajala and The Fringe. These comics both feature strong black female characters at the heart of the story. I really look forward to reading these because since Storm I really haven't seen much black female superhero characters.

Next up is Khary Randolph; Khary continues to work on major comics such as Starborn, Charismagic, Static Shock and more. While at Comic Con I saw Khary drawing a new piece of an old favorite of mine and here is the finished product..BAM! Colossus and yes those are bullets bouncing of the man...I told you this man has skills. (For more on Khary check out my post Khary Randolph: An Artist Like No Other).

Los Pirineos Comp Book
Another cool artist I meet while I was at Comic Con was Sara Woolley. Sara is an amazing artist who draws characters and creatures that seem to come from dreams. Sara is not only an artist but a wonderful writer I got the chance to see Sara's book Los Pirineos. The book tells and an amazing story and even more amazing is that it is fully illustrated with beautiful eye catching drawings for young readers to look at. I am hoping that she finds a publisher soon so you can all see this amazing piece of work. For more information on Los Pirineos make sure you check out Sara's site. (Just click on her name)


Look out it's the Fat Ninja brought to you by no other than Wesley Gunn of Wesley Gunn Creative. Wesley like all the other illustrator is an accomplished artist who is out there doing his thing. His company Wesley Gunn Creative also know as WFCNY has worked for names that are known world wide such as Nickelodeon, ABC, DC Comics, and Image just to name a few. I recently check out Wesley's company's site WGCNY after meeting him at Comic Con and was totally amazed at all the things this brother is into. What really caught my eye on his site was the amazing Star Trek email design. I LOVE STAR TREK so this man gets 2 sexy green lady thumbs up. Also make sure to check out is latest venture Fat Ninja on iTunes

Last but not less Javier Cruz Winnik. Javier is an amazing artist that have drawn many a commission works for fans. This year was Javier's first year in Comic Con's Artist Alley and let me tell you the man fits right in. On display he had some amazing work. One of them that I really like was Superman vs. Goku. I really wonder who would win that match up. Javier is also working on a children's book, which I hope I get to see when he is finish so I can tell you about it. You can see more of Javier's amazing work at his DeviantArt page just click on the link and experience the magic Javier Cruz Winnik Deviantart Page.

All in all it was a great experience and meeting these artist from the first time 1 for the 3rd or 4th (Khary I don't know) was great. Hopefully next year they will all grace NYCC 2013 with their presence and amazing work. Well that's all for now make sure to check back later on PAGES for my Q & A with the artist themselves. I will also be posting the rest of the New York Comic Con pics on that page also.

(All images on this page are property of the artist-I thank them in advance for letting me use them)

Comments

  1. excellent submit, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts
    of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing.
    I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!
    My webpage - boxbcn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BOOKS AND WEBSITES NEW MOTHERS SHOULD CHECKOUT

  Being a new mother I can say is one of the scariest things in the world. You are now in charge of a new life. You are charged with the responsibility of making sure he/she is feed, cleaned, entertained and every need taken care of. Mind you because of the demands being placed on you by your new little bundle of joy you might feel that you have no time for yourself, and I would say that your right! For the first few months of your baby's life, your life is no longer your own. You sleep when he/she sleeps, you eat when you have time to sneak it in, and you finally take a shower when he/she takes a long nap. But it gets better and its well worth it. Eventually your little bundle starts sleeping thought   All of those demands and sleepless nights were something you thought you were prepared for, but when it finally came down to it you were totally wrong. Gone are helpful nurse's that would take your little one to the nursery when you wanted to take a nap. Gone are the extra

Beautiful relaxing music for stress relief meditation music, healing music

EBOOKS OR TRADITIONAL BOOKS

  With the human race ever evolving so is our way of doing things. When man first started writing he took chalk to the wall of caves. From there we've moved on to paper, but we did not stop there. The way of spreading the written word has evolved beyond what any prehistoric man could dream. From chalk, to the pencil, to the printing press, to the typewriter, and now to the modern computer. We have surely come a long way and with these leaps we have moved forward with the way we entertain, horrify, and thrill the modern reader. Since technology has made it so easy for use in developed countries to have access to books are we going to evolve pass the traditional book? Will we no longer need to feel paper under our finger tips with the introduction of the eBook? Paper or Plastic   Not everyone has a computer, Ipad or an ebook reader (Nook, Kindle, Kobo). So is it safe to say that the traditional paper books that we've grown up with are not endanger? I think not! I say thi